Are you a swinger?

.

Hi, welcome back.

First of all, don’t let the title scare you.  I’m not talking about that kind of swinger.

Secondly, I am in a much better mood than I was on Monday.  I feel pretty chipper today.

Side Note: Humm… do you ever wonder where words or phrases people use on a regular basis originate?

Chipper… Why chipper?  Oh well, at least you know what I mean.  By the way, if anyone is aware of the origin I would love to know.

.

I find it interesting that we as humans can have so many different moods – many, many kinds of moods.

There are good moods, bad moods, calm moods – you name it, we have it.

Whether you realize it or not, while sitting there in the glow of the computer screen you are in a mood.  Maybe it’s calm, impatient, negative, happy, etc.  None-the-less you’re in a mood.


.

Do any of you remember the old Mood Rings?  They worked well huh?

.

.

You can learn a lot about a person (or yourself) by the types of moods they generally have and what causes the moods.

We all want and like good moods.  The ones that cause the damage are the bad moods, so that will be where I spend most of my time focusing.

There is no question that I have my good days and bad days, but for the most part I am generally in a pretty good mood.
Some people’s mood soar back and forth like a six year old on the playground swing, while others gently sway like a porch swing.

I had a friend one time tell me that he was even tempered – always in a bad mood.

Now before I start meddling, let me first say that I believe that there are two basic categories for moods – legitimate and chosen.

Legitimate moods are those that have their basis in something physiological or (I say this with much reserve) circumstantial.  We have little or no control over these moods.  We do have some control over how we exhibit the moods, but not so much the mood itself.

Chosen are the moods that we have due to life situations.  These are completely within our control.

Side Note: Stick with me and don’t skim read.

I know this is a bit boring or seems elementary but I can assure you that your nose will be tweaked before we finish.

.

This is where I start meddling.

I believe in the core of my being that 90% of our moods are chosen and the remaining 10% are honestly legitimate.

Now here’s the big lie.  We honestly believe that the majority of bad moods we are in are legitimate category when in reality they are chosen.

We choose a mood because it serves a purpose.

Huh?  Yep, serves a purpose.  The purposes are as varied as people and moods.

For example, for some it validates that we are unhappy about something, or it reaffirms what a crappy person we are because of something we did or didn’t do, or it’s a way of punishing someone because we didn’t get our way.  You name your own poison.

Another way you can tell that it is a chosen mood is how quickly it changes.

Think about it.  Have you ever been in a crappy mood and crabbing around all prickly?  Then someone you like or admire (or want to impress) comes in the room you immediately change your mood.

At that moment you just chose another mood.

There is one more point I need to make.  It is important that you not confuse frustration with a mood.  For example, I am frustrated that I am late getting the blog posted.  I’m frustrated but not in a bad mood.

If I want to be honest, there have been times when a lot less has happened and I chose to be in a bad mood.

Well, I hope you’re in a good mood now.  If not… your choice.

See you Monday.

Ciao.

Tags: , ,

Leave a comment